Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Last Few Days...

Monday was Memorial Day, and our family recognized it in a special way. After dinner, we gathered together as a family and I took a little time to explain the meaning of chivalry and sacrifice, and the important role men have in protecting and defending women and children. Sometimes this duty means that men must fight in wars, and some of these men don’t come home. They lay down their lives to protect their families, so that their enemies will not be able to inflict harm on their wives and children, and so that their homes will be secure.
After this little discussion, we watched a video called “The League of Grateful Sons.” This is a documentary film produced last year by Vision Forum to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the battle of Iwo Jima. The video tells the story of several dozen veterans of that battle who traveled back to Iwo last year with their sons and grandsons to tell them about what they did in the war, and to show them the battleground on which they fought.
The underlying theme of the film was the importance of remembering God’s Providences and the necessity of fathers having a relationship with their children, particularly their sons, and to train them to be strong men. The video also did a good job of developing Psalm 78 as a text for encouraging men to communicate with their children and to instill in them a sense of history.
While I was in Florida for THE WEDDING (about which, more later) I took advantage of the fitness center at the beautiful “hotel with the water.” As I was running on the treadmill there one afternoon, the TV in the fitness center was playing the first part of Saving Private Ryan. Watching the first twenty minutes of that movie while running on a treadmill made my workout seem easy! It is a frighteningly realistic portrayal of the D-Day landing at Normandy – very intense and graphic, not for the faint of heart, and definitely not for small children. Yet, the film, like none other I’ve seen, really makes a person appreciate the sacrifice of those who lived through and too often died in truly horrific fighting conditions, all for the defense of their homes and their way of life.
On a happier note, THE W was really special. I don’t know that I can add anything more to what has already been said, but I will say I was very grateful for the opportunity to be there last weekend. Daughter M accompanied me, and we had a great time! Here are just a couple of pictures. (Maybe M will post some more on her blog.)

7 comments:

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

'Twas an awesome weddin' indeed!
Didja watch the big race on Sunday???

John L said...

cowpoke,
Afraid I missed the race... I was racing home myself that day.

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Yeah, me too---racing home---but we got home in time to see the last dozen or so laps! Almost had a rookie winner!

Booker said...

I LOVE that handraised in victory of the couple...

TripleNine said...

It was good to see you down there. Always a pleasure when I can say hi to the L's.

John L said...

Ryu and Triple, Good to see you guys there as well. I just saw your parents and sister today at church and was telling them how much I enjoyed seeing you fellows last weekend. All the best. (By the way, you missed a killer potluck today -- I'm still stuffed).

drewey fern said...

Hurrah for fathers teaching their sons about chivalry and sacrifice: there's hope for the future!