Saturday, September 01, 2007

Anchors Aweigh My Boys!

Just thought I'd pause to note that today, September 1, 2007, is the day of my official retirement from the United States Navy Reserve! A little over 26 years ago, I raised my hand in front of a Navy recruiter in Atlanta and embarked upon my Navy career. Today, I transferred officially to the "retired list" as they say in the Navy. Here's a picture of that fateful day in 1981 when I was sworn in.
swearingin2 (small)
Here I am a few weeks later at Officer Candidate School. The transformation had begun!
insidekinghall (small)
Transformation Complete -- my first official portrait, as an Ensign in the U.S. Navy.
ensignportrait (small)
Here is one of my favorite photos. The Navigator at work. I can't remember what harbor we were entering, but this was a typical pose for me in those days (mid-1980's):
navigatoratwork (small)
This next one was taken in Boston Harbor at the Commissioning Ceremony for USS Bunker Hill (that's me in front walking with a sword strapped on). Some readers of this blog may remember that day:
cg52commissioning (small)
This picture was taken in the Persian Gulf in 1987, during Operation Earnest Will.
earnestwill (small)
On liberty in Athens, Greece with my shipmate Udo, a great friend to this day:
libertyinathens (small)
Christmas dinner 1991 on board USS Normandy. One of the many holidays I spent at sea or on foreign shores:
christmas1991 (small)
This is not a particularly good picture, but it was taken aboard USS Normandy, in New York Harbor, where I spent my last few years on active duty. The World Trade Center is in the background.
wtc (small)
Finally, here is a picture of my wife and daughter by my side as I was being promoted to Lieutenant Commander in 1993. Thank you to my dear wife and children who put up with my many absences over the years when duty called. I was honored to serve my country, but I'm sure glad to have more time to spend at home.
promotiontolcdr (small)

9 comments:

Lidarose said...

Congratulations, little brother! I wish you every blessing as you enter this new phase of your life!

Claire said...

Wow! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing all those pictures and memories and thankyou for serving our country...

KJ said...

Praise the Lord! And THANK YOU for serving!! Nice pictures, and blessings on the next phase in your life.

Booker said...

Congrats and Good luck!

drewey fern said...

Wonderful pictures! And I, too, thank you for serving. Congratulations on such an illustrious career!

willowlaughter said...

Congratulations! We loved seeing all of you and celebrating family time last night up here in Baltimore :-) Can't wait to see you all again soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those were great pictures! Thanks for sharing them, thanks for serving, and thanks to Brenda too, for being one of the heroes of the military: the wife at home.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Robert Ziegler said...

Dear John,

I found this wonderful image of you aboard USS Normandy with the WTC in the background.

Today I immediately contact you to ask wether you like to participate in our project:

three years ago we -Robert Ziegler and Stefka Ammon- started working on our private project MY_WTC. It is our goal to explore the question of the site' s myth via (mostly) tourists' photographs of the World Trade Center in New York City (August 5th 1966 - September 10th 2001). Also we would like to find out why so many people took pictures of themselves in front, on top of, inside or next to the WTC. Our project is about exploring the "specific aura" of the World Trade Center from the angle of tourists from all over the world.

On our photo-blog www.my-wtc.com you can see pictures submitted from many places and, this is important to us too, you can also comment on pictures with your memories and associations. We hope to create a vivid exchange. We would be very happy if we arouse your interest with our MY_WTC project. It would really be wonderful if you also submit your great picture! Maybe even with some comments or descriptions (year, reason for photograph...)

In any case we are very much looking forward to hearing from you! Best greetings from Berlin, Germany

Robert Ziegler and Stefka Ammon

PS You may like this image http://my-wtc.com/284

John L said...

Robert - you've got an interesting website. I've uploaded my photo to your collection, with my permission to use it in your project.
All the best, John