Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'm Glad I'm Not a Rabid Patriots Fan

But I do feel sorry for my friends up North, who tonight are crying buckets over the loss to Indianapolis. Football holds a passing interest for me. I enjoy watching it, but not enough to go out of my way to watch or listen to a game. Still, I did tune in for the final seven minutes of the Patriots game tonight. I had to coax the radio in my living room to pick up a station that was carrying the game (tuning in my t.v. rabbit ears was a non-starter -- way too much trouble). As the a.m. station faded in and out, I could picture my friend Paul B. biting his fingernails down to the bone with every passing second. With one minute to go, and Indianapolis ahead by 4, the radio announcer declared "For you folks at home, this is NOT the time to go to the bathroom!" Just then I had the evil thought to call Paul on the phone and pretend I didn't know the game was on, but that would have been cruel (fun, but cruel).
So, my New England friends and Patriot fans everywhere, my condolences. I really would have liked to see your team go to the Super Bowl, but there's always next year!

3 comments:

KJ said...

I appreciate your condolences and your sympathetic post. Enjoy your "Rabid-fan-free" feelings :) It was a nail biter to be sure!

brandywine said...

Yeah, you should have called him and asked him some obnoxious question, like what he thought about the FLSA? :)

drewey fern said...

Hee hee - you are so funny! About the calling Paul thing, that is:) Yes, Sunday night was not one of my cheerier moments. But also yes, there is a next year!